23 March 2011

English Breakfast v. (real) Continental Breakfast.


21 - 23 March 2011
The city of Brugges, Belgium was basically a dream come true. It was just the epitome of a European city. It was fairly small and historic, but still a city. Everything was in at least three languages, usually four: French, English, German, and Flemish. There were Belgian chocolate shops everywhere. Just from the street in front of our hotel I could see five little gourmet chocolate shops. And, trust me, they lived up to all expectations. While there, I bought nearly two kilos of Belgian chocolates for myself and my family. The waffles were also amazing – I had three in the 22 hours we were in Brugges. What I didn’t know about Belgium was that they were the real inventors of French fries! There was even a “Friets” museum in Brugges. We bought French fries from a little stand in the main square and the man fried them fresh when we ordered them. Might be the best French fries I’ve ever had.

On Monday our coach took the ferry across the English Channel into Northern France and then we drove up to Brugges. That afternoon Michelle and I walked out to the edge of town to see the windmills. We saw a man up on the porch of one and decided to follow suit and climb up. It was so scary!!! It was more like a ladder than stairs and it reminded me rather eerily of the Mount Widji climbing wall (at the summer camp where I work).  It was a cool view, but we kept calling ourselves stupid for climbing up.

On Tuesday morning we enjoyed an awesome continental breakfast (as opposed to an English breakfast – I finally get it!!!) at the hotel and then headed to the Chocolate Museum as a group. The chocolate museum was pretty fun and we got some delicious samples. Mostly we spent the rest of the morning wandering the city, buying chocolates and waffles, and enjoying the architecture and accordion music. We did happen into a basilica right as they were performing a midday mass. The inside was so colorful! We sat inside for about 15 minutes listening to the music and looking at the beautiful murals and woodwork. We foound the bus about 20 minutes early so we sat in a nearby park and ate chocolate and enjoyed the sunshine. It was 60 degrees and this was the first time I haven’t worn a coat since we got to Europe. It was an absolutely beautiful day. I think I’m in love with Belgium.

Tuesday afternoon we drove to the Ieper WWI museum in southern Belgium and then continued on to Amiens, France. Amiens wasn’t really a touristy town so it was kind of hard to find dinner. After wandering for a few blocks, Michelle and I found an Italian pasta shop that was about to close. I got pasta with spinach and hers had a vodka sauce. It was wonderful.

The next morning we went to a cathedral in Amiens that is also called Notre Dame. It think it might have actually been bigger than Notre Dame in Paris, but I think Notre Dame in Paris is probably prettier. I think my favorite part of the Amiens cathedral was in the outside wall where, among the rows of saints and apostles, two beheaded saints stood holding their heads in their hands. It was pretty funny.

I found an awesome department store in Amiens where I did some shopping and then finished out the trip with a nutella crepe at a sidewalk vendor. In the afternoon we visited the Canadian section of the Somme battlefield from WWI. The Somme battle was a disaster for the allied forces. The Newfoundland regiment (the Canadians) had an 86% casualty rate. The Battle of the Somme lasted for almost 4 months in total and was all trench warfare. It was a very interesting and solemn visit.

It’s always fun getting through the passport check. Europe welcomes you with open arms, but, for some reason, the UK is strict. To get your stamp, you have to fill out a “landing card” with your name, birth place, nationality, address, last destination, flight or ship #, etc… And you never know what they’re going to ask. Today’s line of questioning at the UK Border Agency:
How long will you be here for?
Is that the same as the rest of your group?
Where are you returning to?
Isn’t Nashville music city?
What are you studying?
What period of history?
Where are you coming from?
What did you do in Amiens?
Do you have a letter from your educational institution?

My thoughts: For pete’s sake, just stamp my passport!

We just drove off our ferry back to England and are now on our way back to London. I’m going home 3 weeks from tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a little sad, but I am soooo ready to go home.