09 March 2011

A Fine Line: My Visit to the London Central Mosque

            For a long time, I’ve wondered about what experts call “Islamophobia” running rampant in the United States. If someone were to ask me if a Muslim man scared me, I would have to say yes. That bothered me. I knew that I shouldn’t be prejudiced against someone out right like that. On the other hand, I was reminded that nearly all terrorist acts have been perpetrated by young, Arabic men. Where do you find a balance between respecting a religion and protecting your country? I think my visit to the London Central Mosque yesterday showed me that we can do both.
            The London Central Mosque was the first mosque in the United Kingdom and I believe it is still the largest. The building itself wasn’t that big. Though you could see the gold domed roof and prayer tower for a good distance, I have certainly seen several Baptist churches in the South that were larger. The prayer hall holds about 5,000 worshippers each Friday.
            Our host/guide’s name was Omar. He is in charge of education and media in the mosque and he serves as an advisor on a British government committee on extremism. He told us about Islam and their emphasis on internal and external modesty. He told us that the “average” British convert to Islam is a 27-year old Caucasian female and that the oppression of women in middle eastern countries is mainly the result of local customs, not Islamic doctrine. He also explained to us that actual terrorists have to blend in to their surroundings and that people dressed in religious clothing are almost certainly not violent. He emphasized the need for better employment and sense of community belonging for at-risk young men.
            While visiting the mosque, I was struck by all the similarities between Christianity and Islam. To start, they are both monotheistic. In addition to Muhammad, Muslims believe that Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Solomon, David, and Jesus, were all prophets and messengers of Allah (God). Many Muslim women say they look to the virgin Mary as their model in modesty and virtue. They both emphasize the importance of prayer, studying the word of God, sexual morality, and charity (alms-giving).
            From my point of view, that of an American and of a Latter-day Saint, I think we really need to do a better job of understanding Islamic culture. Our nation needs more people of faith and good-will. We need more people of character and morality. Islam, as a religion, can help people achieve that. There are so many Muslims who are good, peaceful people who just want the freedom and respect to worship God and contribute to their communities in their own way. In one of the LDS Articles of Faith, Joseph Smith wrote: “We claim the privilege of worshipping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.” We need to allow all peaceful people of the Islamic faith the privilege of worshipping their God in their own way.
            Yes, I think we can separate our views on terrorism and Islam. Not only can we, I believe we must. Just like Catholics, Mormons, and Jews have been misunderstood and persecuted in their times, Muslims are being persecuted now. Yes, most, if not all, terrorists are young muslim men. But how many is that? Do we place the blame on the whole people? I think there are some fine lines we need to define. I don’t have all the answers. But I know two things: 1. Peaceful people of faith deserve our respect. 2. Terrorists don’t.

P.S. As you think about the line between respecting a religion and protecting against radicals who claim that religion, here are some interesting verses for study:
Micah 4:5
Article of Faith 1:11
D&C 134
2 Nephi 28
Alma 21:22
Matt 22:21