07 February 2011

The City (East)


I have to write reports on a London Walks class I'm doing and I thought this one was interesting enough to post!
            I was pleasantly surprised to find that even though I left with a let’s-get-this-over-with attitude, this was one of my favorite walks. The City was a very high-class metropolitan area. Michelle, Emily, and I felt very out of place in our jeans and tennis shoes as men and women in tailored business suits hurried past. The walk took us through tons of tiny little alleys and by several pubs.

City East Walk 2.JPG

            One pub, the Jamaica Wine House, was actually pretty interesting. In the 1670’s it was the Jamaica Coffee House and was a rendezvous point and unofficial post office for merchants and sea captains involved in trade with the West Indies and Jamaica.

City East Walk.JPG

            To explain the hair – the wind was crazy insane today. I felt like I was in Chicago.
           
            We also walked by the Bank of England Museum, Leadenhall Market (which purportedly served as Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter movies), and the Monument to the great fire of 1666, which, in London, is simply known as “The Monument.”

Leadenhall Market:
City East Walk - Leadenhall Market - Diagon Alley.JPG

            As we were passing the Monument, we caught a whiff of the most wonderful smell. It was about lunchtime and our stomachs dictated that we follow. Our attempt to find the source was in vain. It was absolutely tantalizing but we didn’t have time to try every alleyway that led from the square. We have committed to return to the Monument on a day when we aren’t on a time crunch.

            Also, we discovered that Domino’s Pizza delivers on bikes here. I just thought it was funny :D