02 February 2011

Les Miserables v. Wicked


As I walked out of the theater, someone asked me if I liked Les Mis or Wicked better. What a question! How could I really decide? They are so different. I wanted to say Les Mis, but then I remembered Defying Gravity from Wicked and I just couldn’t choose. Les Miserables was so real. These could have been real people facing real issues and making real choices. They not only represented the past, but their lives could be reflected in problems we face today. How can we make sure that no woman today faces the choice Fantine had to make? How can we make sure that each prisoner is treated justly? How can we make sure that each child is in a loving home? Wicked and Les Mis each had award-winning music. I loved the alto voices of Elphaba and Eponine. I loved the staging of Defying Gravity and the renewed hope for a better world in the Les Mis Finale. Who could choose??