09 January 2011

Digestives and the Parks

This was supposed to be posted yesterday, but my internet was not cooperating- internet in Europe is rather sketchy.

Saturday is our staff’s day off so we were left alone for food today. A couple of my roommies and I left the Centre about 9:30 am in search of a Belgian waffle stand. We were unlucky in that regard, but did find a grocery store (Marks & Spencer) where I spotted a package of cookies called Digestives. I remembered my old roomie Rosemary saying how much she loved them in Romania, so I thought I’d better try. Just so you know, they are wonderful! Wheatmeal biscuit covered in milk chocolate. Delicious.
For breakfast, we found a little chain bakery called Greggs where I bought a sausage roll and a “Yum-Yum” (iced pastry).

In the afternoon we did our first assigned “walk” for our one credit “London Walks” Class. It took us two hours to go through St. James Park, Green Park, Hyde Park, and Kensington Gardens. In between Green and Hyde is the Duke of Wellington Arch celebrating his victory over Wellington:





In Kensington Gardens is the Peter Pan statue which author J.M. Barrie reportedly had erected overnight to make schoolchildren believe that fairies had brought it!