11 January 2011

Human Progress and Civilization Study: The Girls' Bathroom

Today I finally started classes with History of World Civilizations and History of England. The Civ class is basically a museums class. Prof. Dursteler lectures about a period in time for about an hour and a half, we go to a museum, he points out a couple objects, and then we’re turned loose for an hour to explore the museum and write a “Museum Report.” I think this is my favorite class so far.
The History of England is a 2 and a half hour lecture in the afternoon and goes along with all of the field trips we’ll be taking. These two classes progress along roughly the same timeline.
So in Civ today, we talked about the very beginnings of human progress, when an agricultural revolution turned hunters and gatherers to farmers starting around 12,000 B.C. In honor of human progress, I thought I would tell you about a little bit of progress I’ve made.
Beside our dorm room of 8 girls, we have a little toilet room and a shower room with two showers and two sinks. The shower doors are glass. This creates a bit of a problem. We attempted to drape towels over the doors for a bit of privacy, but they were rarely long enough. A couple days ago I had an ingenious idea. I had brought with me an old, lightweight Build-a-Bear beach towel and I just so happened to have a bit of Christmas packaging tape in my suitcase. I finally put two and two together. The glass door is now adorned with a Build-a-Bear beach towel and long strips of red and green polka dot packing tape. I think this sort of high-style bathroom is perfect for such a stately Victorian townhouse don’t you?
We’re currently on the search for another beach towel. ;)