16 January 2011

Thank Heavens for the Women of this Church


When we came to London, our stake leaders kept telling us that we, as Brigham Young University students, would be teaching through both our words and our examples in the various church wards we were assigned to. We were told that we had a vast amount of gospel education that many of these members have not had because they are so much newer to the church. This all may be true. But I cannot imagine they will learn more from me than I will from them.

This was my first Sunday as a member of the Stratford ward and I already love it. My ward is very small, about two thirds African and the others English, Indian, Filipino, or Asian. It is so far removed from any American Church experience I have had. I loved the African sisters the minute I stepped into Relief Society. The RS President’s welcome was greeted with a cheerful chorus of “Good Morning!”s. The lesson today was on fasting. To be honest, I have always struggled with my testimony of fasting. It just has not been one of my strong points. I do it, but my heart has never been all there. Today I was put in my place while hearing the abundance of testimonies these humble sisters gave of their experiences with and testimonies of fasting. What could they learn from me? An upstart 19 year old girl who hopped across the ocean on an adventure? What do I know about real hardship? I’ve never been a wife or mother. I have never had to support a family. I’ve never paid my tithing not knowing how the groceries would be bought. And yet, we five girls from BYU were met with warmth, respect, and open arms from sisters who are looking forward to serving with us.

This afternoon, after the ward “Munch and Mingle,” I got to watch as the Bishop introduced three of the BYU girls to the Primary President to serve in the primary with her. The gratitude she received them with humbled me. One at a time, she would grasp both their hands and say “Thank you for coming. God Bless you.” All they’re doing is helping teach the children for two hours each week. But to her, it meant the world.

A few years ago, I remember hearing a young elder missionary mention that he regretted that the women of the church somewhat lagged behind those who had served missions on an understanding of the atonement. I remember being furious. The women of this church have faith, courage, love, and hope. They have faith in the atonement of Christ because of their life experiences. They know how it feels to lose a child. As they care for their families, loved ones, and those in need, they understand the love of Christ. When they turn to God with trembling hands, they know he can take away their pains. It is the Spirit that teaches the gospel of Christ. It is that tender Spirit that the women in this church invite in such abundance. Today I heard the testimony of an elderly African woman sitting in the back row of Relief Society and I know that she understood the atonement just as well as any young missionary.

Today I was called as a Relief Society Teacher and Pianist. I can only pray to serve and love them to the best of my ability. I can only pray that I will teach them half as much as they will teach me.