12 January 2011

Please Don't Touch

I’m exhausted and just crawled into bed but I’ll just tell you real quick…
Today was a bus day! First stop was Church #6 – Salisbury Cathedral. We had an awesome tour guide who told us that cathedrals actually used to be very colorful. Most of the color has now either been whitewashed or faded. Also, I was very excited to find out that this cathedral houses one of thirteen original copies of the Magna Carta, out of only four existing today. We got to see it - from behind ropes. I wanted to buy a poster of it at the shop, but I figured I couldn’t really get it home.
Second stop – Stonehenge! That was really cool. For some reason (silly, I know) I thought we would be able to get up close to the stones and I was pretty disappointed to see the field roped off.
Third stop – Bath. We saw the Bath Assembly Rooms, which are mentioned in Jane Austen’s Northanger Abbey, and the Roman Baths. Whoever is in charge of the Roman baths must have talked to whoever is in charge of Stonehenge, because we didn’t get to touch the water from the hot springs either. Lame.